The problem with pies isn’t the meaty, muscle-building filling – it’s the carb-heavy, blood sugar-spiking dough it’s wrapped in. Unless, that is, you opt for the upgraded MF version, which swaps pastry for a brown rice and cheese crust. This means that – like all the meals and snacks in this plan – it contains slow-release carbs, which help to maintain healthy insulin levels and stop you from putting on weight. Just remember the ale is for pie-making purposes only.
Carrots contain betacarotene, which strengthens bones
Bacon contains zinc, which increases energy levels
Mushrooms contain fibre, which keeps you feeling full
Porridge oats with blueberries contains pterostilbene, a compound that helps the body break down fat.
Baked sweet potato with tuna and cheddar contains CLA, a naturally occurring fatty acid which reduces body fat.
Greek yogurt and strawberries contain immunity-boosting vitamin C and muscle-building protein.
Dinner: Steak and ale pie with brown rice crust
Ingredients (serves 4)
For the crust
75g dry brown rice / 30g cheddar cheese, grated / 2 large egg whites
For the filling
10g dried porcini mushrooms / 1kg braising steak, diced / 2 onions, diced / 4 carrots, sliced / 300ml dark ale / 2tbsp plain flour / 300ml beef stock / 1tsp thyme, chopped / 1tsp parsley, chopped / 1 bay leaf / 200g bacon, diced / 200g chestnut mushrooms, chopped / Salt and pepper / 4tbsp rapeseed oil
- Mix the steak with the flour, salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a pan and brown the meat over a medium heat for five minutes.
- Transfer the steak into a pot, add the onions and cook for ten minutes over a low heat.
- Add the carrots, ale, stock, porcini mushrooms, thyme and bay leaf. Simmer for at least two hours until the meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to packaging instructions, then mix it with the egg whites and cheese to make the crust mix, keeping a handful of cheese in reserve.
- In a separate pan, fry the bacon over a medium heat for three minutes, then add the chestnut mushrooms and cook for a further three minutes. Stir the bacon and mushrooms into the pot.
- Pour the mixture into a pie dish and spread the crust mixture over it. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and then bake it in a pre-heated oven at 180°C/gas mark 4 for 40 minutes.
- Remove the pie from the oven, sprinkle the parsley over the crust and serve.
Coach is the place to come for all your health, fitness, and personal wellness needs.
Sign up for workout ideas, training advice, the latest gear and more.
Thank you for signing up to Coach. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.