As a reader of Coach you’ll know you’re being constantly hectored to do something in order to feel fitter, healthier and happier, and to your credit, thousands of you have. But then there are those of you who have put it off, don’t know how to start, haven’t got the time, aren’t sure what to do, your leg hurts, it’s raining, Bake Off is on… and a long list of other excuses.
If you’re in the latter, malingering category, don’t worry – here’s your opportunity to reset the clock.
Taking a leaf from the church in the Middle Ages, which gave wrongdoers the opportunity to right their wrongs by buying an “indulgence” or pardon, Coach is offering you the chance to extend forgiveness to yourself by making a donation to charity.
All you have to do is work out what your unit of spend is going to be (say, 0.2% of your net salary, or £2 for every thousand), then run down our list of things you should have done over the last year to look after yourself, and for all those tasks you’ve failed to perform, fine yourself. At the bottom of the list, calculate the total and decide who the lucky beneficiary of your idle attitude is going to be.
It could be one of the charities we’ve partnered with over the last year (see below), or a charity of your choice, or indeed, absolutely anyone you consider deserving, from a local kids’ football team to the local homeless person.
Not only will it make you feel significantly better about yourself, it may spur you on to sort yourself out over the next 12 months to avoid having to make another similar payment next year. Let that be a lesson to you.
- Have you tried a new sport or activity in the last 12 months? If not, fine yourself 5 units
- Have you swapped some unhealthy snacks for healthy ones in the last 12 months? If not, fine yourself 2 units
- Have you done anything significant to help others in the last 12 months? If not, fine yourself 2 units
- Have you checked the calories or sugar before eating something in the last 12 months? If not, fine yourself 1 unit
- Have you entered a race or event in the last 12 months? If not, fine yourself 1 unit
- Have you got off the train or bus a stop early to walk more in the last 12 months? If not, fine yourself 2 units
- Have you tried out an activity app or tracker in the last 12 months? If not, fine yourself 2 units
- Do you make a decent effort to eat at least five portions of fruit and vegetables a day? If not, fine yourself 4 units
- Do you take responsibility for your own alcohol consumption? If not, fine yourself 5 units
- Do you ever get out of your comfort zone? Any form of pushing yourself counts. If not, fine yourself 2 units
The Price of your Inactivity
Unit of fine X Number of units = Total charity payment
Coach’s charity partners this year have been:
- Prostate Cancer UK (opens in new tab) whose noble aim is to stop men dying from prostate cancer.
- GoDadRun (opens in new tab) who raise money for Prostate Cancer UK through a series of 5km/10km runs for men and boys.
- CASPA (opens in new tab) which works with children, young people and families affected by autism.
For a list of charities by sector, see charitychoice.co.uk (opens in new tab)
Coach is the place to come for all your health, fitness, and personal wellness needs.
Sign up for workout ideas, training advice, the latest gear and more.
Thank you for signing up to Coach. You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.